Oyster and Sausage Cornbread Dressing
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 246
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 7.3g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 449mg
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 onions (about 3/4 lb. total), peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup shucked fresh or canned oysters
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, combine butter, onions, celery, and corn. Stir often until vegetables are lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Pour into a large bowl.
- 2. Crumble sausage in frying pan and stir often until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to onion mixture. Discard fat.
- 3. Pour oysters and liquid into frying pan. Stir to free browned bits and bring to a boil. With slotted spoon, lift out oysters and cut into 1/2-inch chunks. Add to onion mixture. Boil oyster liquid until reduced to 2 tablespoons and add to onion mixture. Add sage, thyme, and cornbread; mix well, breaking cornbread into small pieces. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4. Pat into a shallow 3-quart (9- by 13-in.) casserole. For moist dressing, cover with foil; for crusty dressing, do not cover. Bake in a 325° to 350° oven until hot (at least 150° in center) or lightly browned, about 50 minutes (1 hour if chilled).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables