- Skillet Cornbread
- 1 (8-ounce) package seasoned breadcrumbs (we tested with Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 4 stalks celery, thinly chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (1-pound) package chicken gizzards
- 2 stalks celery, quartered
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (20-ounce) container chicken livers, drained
- 2 (12-ounce) containers fresh Select oysters
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Crumble Skillet Cornbread into a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs and next 7 ingredients; stir well. Cover and let stand at room temperature 8 hours.
- Place chicken gizzards in a large saucepan. Cover with water; add 2 stalks celery and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Add chicken livers to saucepan; simmer 15 additional minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 3 1/2 cups cooking liquid. Reserve gizzards and livers for giblet gravy, if desired.
- Drain oysters, reserving liquid. Combine eggs, reserved cooking liquid, and reserved oyster liquid; add to cornbread mixture (dressing will be very moist).
- Spoon cornbread mixture into a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish. Push oysters gently and evenly into cornbread mixture. Bake dressing at 350° for 1 hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads