- 2 pints fresh oysters, undrained
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- Oyster crackers
How to Make It
Drain oysters, reserving 1 cup liquid. Set oysters and liquid aside.
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add bell pepper and onion, and sauté 7 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms, and sauté 5 minutes.
Stir in flour and next 4 ingredients. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Gradually stir in reserved liquid and whipping cream; cook 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in oysters, and cook 3 minutes or until oysters begin to curl. Stir in wine. Serve with oyster crackers.