- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup frozen sweet green peas, thawed
- 1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimiento, drained
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) container fresh oysters, well drained
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
How to Make It
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet; add mushrooms, and sauté until tender; drain well. Return mushrooms to skillet; add chicken and next 3 ingredients.
Melt 1/3 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth and whipping cream; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper. Add to chicken mixture, stirring gently. Spoon half of chicken mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with oysters and remaining chicken mixture.
Stir together 2 tablespoons melted butter and breadcrumbs; sprinkle over casserole.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.