Oxtail Soup Mix Pot Roast
Notes: Beef rump is very lean. You can also use boned and tied beef chuck, which gets more succulent but doesn't slice as neatly. Serve the meat and gravy with mashed potatoes or hot fettuccine
More From Sunset
- Calories: 396
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 36g
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated fat: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 9.1g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Sodium: 506mg
- Cholesterol: 108mg
- 1 piece (about 3 lb.) beef rump
- 1 teaspoon salad oil (optional)
- 2 onions (1 lb. total), peeled and sliced
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) beer
- 1 package (1.8 oz.) oxtail soup mix
- 1. Wipe meat with a damp towel. Place a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat and add oil (if desired). Add meat and brown lightly all over, turning as needed, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Transfer meat to a bowl. Add onions and 2 tablespoons water to pan. Stir frequently until onions are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Add beer, soup mix, and 1 cup water to pan; stir to release browned bits. Add beef and any juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently until meat is very tender when pierced, about 3 hours.
- 4. Lift meat onto a platter and keep warm. Let stand at least 10 minutes to slice neatly. Meanwhile, if needed, boil sauce, uncovered, over high heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 3 cups.
- 5. Slice roast and serve with gravy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note