- 1 1/2 (8-ounce) baguettes, cut or torn into 1-inch cubes (about 9 cups)
- 1 (12- to 16-ounce) package bacon, chopped
- 2 (8-ounce) packages sliced baby bella (cremini) mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground mustard, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, shredded
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
Place bread pieces in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish, and set aside.
Cook bacon over medium-high heat in a large skillet 15 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan, and drain on paper towels, reserving about 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
Add mushrooms, and sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Add 2 tablespoons mustard, and cook 1 minute more. Drain any excess liquid from pan. Transfer mushroom mixture to reserved baking dish; add bacon and basil, and toss with bread until evenly distributed. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
Whisk together remaining 1 tablespoon mustard, eggs, and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Pour over bread mixture, cover with foil, and chill at least 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°. Remove bread pudding from refrigerator, and bake, covered with foil, at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes more or until light golden brown.