- 7 1/2 cups water
- 3 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- 2 small red onions, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
How to Make It
Bring 7 1/2 cups water to a boil; add shrimp, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain and rinse with cold water. Peel shrimp, and, if desired, devein.
Layer shrimp, red onion slices, and bell pepper slices in an airtight container.
Whisk together vegetable oil and next 9 ingredients; pour over shrimp. Cover and chill 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
Stir in 1/2 cup chopped basil 1 hour before serving.