Over-the-Border Breakfast Sausage Wraps
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Rose Nguyen
More From Southern Living
- 1 (12-oz.) package 50%-less-fat ground pork sausage
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 to 2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 (16-oz.) carton Southwestern-flavored egg substitute
- 6 (8-inch) soft taco-size whole wheat or white flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Toppings: salsa, nonfat sour cream, chopped green onions
- 1. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Tilt pan to drain well; pat sausage dry with paper towels. Stir in hot sauce.
- 2. Cook egg substitute in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat, without stirring, 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture begins to set on bottom.
- 3. Gently stir to slightly break up eggs. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes or until eggs are thickened and moist. (Do not overstir.) Remove skillet from heat.
- 4. Lightly coat both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Spoon sausage, eggs, and cheese down center of each tortilla. Fold sides over, enclosing filling completely, and gently press to seal.
- 5. Cook wraps, in 2 batches, folded sides down, in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully turn, and cook 2 to 3 more minutes or until lightly browned and cheese is melted. Cut each wrap in half, and serve immediately with desired toppings.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Jimmy Dean 50% Less Fat Than Regular Pork Sausage and Egg Beaters With Yolk Southwestern egg substitute.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch