Over-the-Border Breakfast Sausage Wraps
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Rose Nguyen
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 (12-oz.) package 50%-less-fat ground pork sausage
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 to 2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 (16-oz.) carton Southwestern-flavored egg substitute
- 6 (8-inch) soft taco-size whole wheat or white flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Toppings: salsa, nonfat sour cream, chopped green onions
- 1. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Tilt pan to drain well; pat sausage dry with paper towels. Stir in hot sauce.
- 2. Cook egg substitute in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat, without stirring, 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture begins to set on bottom.
- 3. Gently stir to slightly break up eggs. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes or until eggs are thickened and moist. (Do not overstir.) Remove skillet from heat.
- 4. Lightly coat both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Spoon sausage, eggs, and cheese down center of each tortilla. Fold sides over, enclosing filling completely, and gently press to seal.
- 5. Cook wraps, in 2 batches, folded sides down, in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully turn, and cook 2 to 3 more minutes or until lightly browned and cheese is melted. Cut each wrap in half, and serve immediately with desired toppings.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Jimmy Dean 50% Less Fat Than Regular Pork Sausage and Egg Beaters With Yolk Southwestern egg substitute.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note