Oven-Sautéed Onions and Garlic
Prep and Cook Time: about 1 3/4 hours. Notes: If you buy garlic heads, you'll need about 3/4 pound total. Cooked, 1 1/3 pounds onions and 2 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic make about 1 cup. A food processor significantly speeds up prep time.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 346
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 7.4g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 51g
- Fiber: 8.4g
- Sodium: 19mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 9 1/2 pounds onions, peeled and sliced (9 qt.)
- 1 1/3 cups (8 oz.) peeled garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1. In a large bowl, mix 1/2 the onions, 1/2 the garlic, and 1/2 the oil. Pour into a shallow, rimmed pan (12 by 15 in. to 15 by 17 in., and 1 to 1 1/2 in. deep). Repeat with remaining onions, garlic, and oil, and pour into another same-size pan.
- 2. Bake in a 400° oven until onions are limp and well browned, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, switching pan positions and stirring mixture from pan sides into center with a wide spatula every 15 minutes to avoid scorching or burning.
- 3. Use as directed in recipes. Or let cool to room temperature and freeze in 1-cup portions in plastic freezer bags (1-pt. size; see Cold Facts below).
- Cold Facts. Packaging: freezer bags. If ingredients include liquid, set each plastic freezer bag upright in a bowl, then fill. Squeeze out all air and seal bag. For better protection of frozen foods during storage, seal each bag inside a second one. Lay bags flat in freezer until solid so they will stack.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This