More From Southern Living
Bake: 3 Hours
Cool: 20 Minutes
- 3 (28-oz.) cans whole tomatoes, drained and halved
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 5 large garlic cloves, halved
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 300°. Place tomato halves in a colander, and press gently to remove excess liquid.
- 2. Stir together tomatoes, onion, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Place tomato mixture in a single layer in an aluminum foil-lined 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
- 3. Bake at 300° for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until tomato mixture is deep red and lightly browned, stirring every 45 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 to 20 minutes or until completely cool. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Place tomato mixture in an airtight container, and freeze up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator 24 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables