Notes: Other root vegetables (baby turnips, parsnips, chunks of leeks) can be used; vegetable weight should total about 4 1/2 pounds. Up to 4 hours ahead, roast vegetables; let stand at room temperature. To warm, set roasting pan over medium heat, add remaining ingredients, and stir until steaming. Garnish with rosemary sprigs or roasted garlic.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 117
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Protein: 2.3g
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 33mg
- Cholesterol: 0.1mg
- 1 1/2 pounds blue, Yukon Gold, or red thin-skinned potatoes (or a mixture of colors), 2 inches wide
- 1 1/2 pounds short, slender carrots (1/2 in. thick), ends trimmed
- 1 1/2 pounds pearl onions (3/4 in. wide)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1. Scrub potatoes and carrots. Cut potatoes in half. Peel onions. In a 12- by 15-inch roasting pan, mix potatoes, carrots, onions, oil, thyme, rosemary, and pepper.
- 2. Roast vegetables in a 450° oven, stirring occasionally, until tender when pierced, 40 to 50 minutes.
- 3. Transfer pan from oven to rangetop and set over medium heat. Add red wine, balsamic vinegar, and chicken broth. Stir until brown drippings are scraped free and vegetables are coated, 2 to 4 minutes.
- 4. Spoon vegetables into a bowl. Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note