- 1/2 cup diced bacon (about 3 slices; 3 oz. total)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces fresh chanterelle or common mushrooms, rinsed, tough stem ends trimmed, and cut into 3/4-inch chunks (see notes)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, rinsed, stemmed, and cut in half, or 3 firm-ripe Roma tomatoes (about 10 oz. total), rinsed, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 cup pitted calamata or oil-cured black olives (see notes)
- 4 sprigs (about 4 in. long) fresh thyme, rinsed
- 2 pounds clams in shells, suitable for steaming, well scrubbed under cool running water
- 1 lemon (about 4 oz.), rinsed and cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
- calories 404
- caloriesfromfat 85 %
- protein 7.6 g
- fat 38 g
- satfat 16 g
- carbohydrate 7.6 g
- fiber 1.4 g
- sodium 476 mg
- cholesterol 72 mg
How to Make It
In a 10- to 12-inch ovenproof frying pan (with at least 2 1/2-in. sides) over medium-high heat, stir bacon often until browned and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Add olive oil, mushrooms, and garlic and stir often until mushrooms are slightly limp, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add butter, wine, tomatoes, olives, and thyme sprigs; stir often over high heat until butter is melted and liquid is boiling. Add clams and squeeze 2 lemon wedges over clams, discarding seeds and peels. Cover pan.
Transfer pan to a 500° regular or convection oven and bake until clams pop open, 12 to 15 minutes.
Ladle clam mixture and juices equally into four wide, shallow bowls; discard any clams that didn't open. Garnish each serving with a lemon wedge.