Oven-roasted Chilean Seabass
What's in a name? For Chilean seabass, not much fact. This firm, flavorful, snowy-flesh fish is not a bass, nor is it exclusively from Chile (it's also caught off the coast of Argentina). But in 1994, Chilean seabass was officially accepted by the FDA as the name of Dissotichus eleginoides. When this fish was introduced to the west in the 80's, it was a big hit right from the start. It has few bones and is about as fatty as king salmon and therefore more tolerant of overcooking than most fish.
- 1 1/2 pounds Chilean seabass, cut into1-inch-thick pieces
- 1 tablespoon salted fermented black beans
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter or salad oil
- 1/4 cup slivered shallots or red onion
- 2 ruby grapefruit (1 lb. each)
- About 1 pound mustard greens, rinsed and drained
- About 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1. Rinse fish and pat dry.
- 2. Rinse beans, drain, then mash slightly with ginger and vinegar.
- 3. Put 1 tablespoon butter in a 9- by 13-inch pan. Set pan in a 500° oven until butter melts and begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from oven, tilt to spread butter, then lay fish in pan and turn over. Mix shallots with butter. Pour black bean mixture over fish.
- 4. Bake until fish is opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), about 10 minutes. Baste occasionally with pan juices.
- 5. Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, cut peel and white membrane from grapefruit, then cut between membrane and fruit to release segments. Squeeze juice from membrane. Measure 3 to 4 tablespoons juice and pour over fish as it bakes. Reserve fruit.
- 6. Trim and discard coarse stems from mustard greens; coarsely chop greens.
- 7. In an 11- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, melt remaining butter. Add greens and 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Stir often until wilted, 2 to 5 minutes.
- 8. Transfer fish to a platter; pour juices over it. Arrange wilted greens around fish. Garnish with grapefruit segments. Season with more soy sauce to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note