- 1 (7- to 8-pound) capon
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Remove giblets and neck from capon; reserve for other uses. Rinse capon with cold water; pat dry. Combine herbs and seasonings; rub on surface and in cavity of capon. Fold neck skin over back; secure with a wooden pick. Lift wingtips up and over back so they are tucked under capon securely. Place capon, breast side up, in a shallow roasting pan; cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Brush capon with oil. Insert meat thermometer in breast or meaty part of thigh, making sure it does not touch bone. Bake at 325° for 2 1/2 hours or until meat thermometer registers 185°. Baste capon frequently with pan drippings. If capon gets too brown, cover lightly with aluminum foil. Capon is done when legs move easily.
- Transfer capon to serving platter; reserve pan drippings for Parsley Potato Medley and Capon Gravy. Let capon stand 20 minutes before carving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This