I made a leaner version of this sandwich using turkey, reduced-fat Thousand Island dressing, and reduced fat cheese. It was excellent! I will definitely make this sandwich again.
Photo: Ralph Anderson; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 3/4 cups Thousand Island dressing
- 12 rye bread slices without caraway seeds
- 6 pumpernickel bread slices
- 12 (1-ounce) Swiss cheese slices
- 48 thin slices shaved corned beef (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Stir together sauerkraut and caraway seeds.
- Spread dressing evenly on 1 side of each bread slice. Layer 6 rye bread slices and 6 pumpernickel bread slices evenly with cheese, sauerkraut mixture, and corned beef. Stack to make 6 (2-layer) sandwiches, ending with remaining rye bread slices.
- Coat a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray, and arrange sandwiches on baking sheet. Coat bottom of a second baking sheet with cooking spray, and place, coated side down, on top of corned beef sandwiches.
- Bake sandwiches at 475° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and cheese is slightly melted. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note