I made a leaner version of this sandwich using turkey, reduced-fat Thousand Island dressing, and reduced fat cheese. It was excellent! I will definitely make this sandwich again.
Photo: Ralph Anderson; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 3/4 cups Thousand Island dressing
- 12 rye bread slices without caraway seeds
- 6 pumpernickel bread slices
- 12 (1-ounce) Swiss cheese slices
- 48 thin slices shaved corned beef (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Stir together sauerkraut and caraway seeds.
- Spread dressing evenly on 1 side of each bread slice. Layer 6 rye bread slices and 6 pumpernickel bread slices evenly with cheese, sauerkraut mixture, and corned beef. Stack to make 6 (2-layer) sandwiches, ending with remaining rye bread slices.
- Coat a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray, and arrange sandwiches on baking sheet. Coat bottom of a second baking sheet with cooking spray, and place, coated side down, on top of corned beef sandwiches.
- Bake sandwiches at 475° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and cheese is slightly melted. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This