Good crisp on the shrimp and okra. Nice flavor and textures together; I don't care for unsalted creole seasoning so, I just added onion/garlic powders and ground red pepper to my cornmeal. The sauce was delicious. Fairly easy to put together, albeit, it was a bit of a pain having to take each piece of shrimp and okra one by one and put on the pan and the turn each piece over 1/2 way through baking, but finished product was worth it ;-).
Oven-Fried Shrimp and Okra Louisiana Po'boys
More From Cooking Light
Total: 33 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 396
- Fat: 15.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Protein: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 754mg
- Calcium: 194mg
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon drained chopped capers
- 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Creole mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 15 small okra pods, trimmed and halved lengthwise (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 10 ounce medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun/Creole seasoning
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 top-split hot dog buns, toasted
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1. Place a jelly-roll pan in oven. Preheat oven to 450° (leave pan in oven).
- 2. Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well. Chill until ready to use.
- 3. Combine okra and 2 tablespoons buttermilk; toss to coat. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to coat.
- 4. Place shrimp in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with flour; toss well to coat. Drizzle with remaining 6 tablespoons buttermilk, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Drain okra and shrimp through a sieve; discard liquid.
- 5. Combine cornmeal and Cajun/Creole seasoning in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add okra and shrimp; seal bag, and shake well to coat.
- 6. Carefully remove pan from oven; drizzle with oil, tilting pan to spread oil. Remove shrimp and okra from cornmeal, shaking off excess; arrange in a single layer on pan. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes; carefully stir and turn over. Bake 4 minutes or until done.
- 7. Spread about 1 tablespoon rémoulade on one side of hot dog buns; divide lettuce and tomato evenly among buns. Divide shrimp mixture evenly among buns.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note