Oven-Fried Potato Latkes
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- Oven-Fried Potato Latkes
- Makes 18 latkes
- 2 pounds russet potatoes (2-3)
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled (about the size of a baseball)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 scant teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Equipment: 2 heavy non-stick rimmed baking sheets
- 1. Set oven racks in center and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2. Peel the potatoes, then coarsely grate them with the onion together in food processor or by hand using a box grater. Place potato mixture in a fine sieve and press down firmly with paper towel to remove excess moisture. Stir and repeat a few times with fresh paper towels until liquid is mostly drained. Transfer potato mixture to bowl and mix in eggs, salt, baking powder and flour.
- 3. Fill two heavy non-stick rimmed baking sheets with 1/2 cup oil each. Place pans in oven for 10 minutes to heat the oil. Wearing oven mitts, carefully remove pans from oven. Drop batter by the 1/4-cupful onto baking sheets, spacing about 1-1/2 inches apart. Using the bottom of the measuring cup or a spoon, press down on pancakes to flatten just slightly. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bottoms are crisp and golden. Carefully remove pans from oven and flip latkes (tongs are the best tool as a spatula may cause oil to splatter). Place pans back in oven and cook until latkes are crisp and golden brown all over, about 10 minutes more. Remove pans from oven and transfer latkes to large platter lined with paper towels. Serve with sour cream or apple sauce, if desired.
- Latkes are best served warm out of the oven. I do not recommend making them ahead of time.
- It is very important to use non-stick baking sheets so the latkes don't stick.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by dwanna and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Oven-Fried Potato Latkes Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables