These were incredible! I have been looking for an oven fried green tomato recipe that tasted really good without the greasiness. These tomatoes fulfilled my dreams. They are crisp on the outside, soft on the inside. They have a nice crunch which is often missing with the oven baked variety. My husband said, "Put these in your regular repertoire." Thanks for a great recipe!
Oven-Fried Green Tomatoes With Lightened Bread-and-Butter Pickle Rémoulade
More From Southern Living
Bake: 18 Minutes
- 4 large green tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Parchment paper
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups Japanese breadcrumbs (panko)
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Lightened Bread-and-Butter Pickle Rémoulade
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Sprinkle both sides of tomatoes evenly with 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper.
- 2. Place a wire rack coated with cooking spray in a parchment paper-lined 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
- 3. Pour buttermilk into a shallow dish or pie plate. Stir together panko, Creole seasoning, and paprika in another shallow dish or pie plate.
- 4. Dredge tomatoes in flour. Dip tomatoes in buttermilk, and dredge in panko mixture. Lightly coat tomatoes on each side with cooking spray; arrange on wire rack.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown, turning once after 10 minutes. Serve with Lightened Bread-and-Butter Pickle Rémoulade.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This