Oven-Fried Fish Sticks with Tartar Sauce
Fish sticks have been a staple since the 1950s. The premade, frozen variety offers a simple, inexpensive way to get dinner on the table, but this homemade version, which uses fresh cod, is superior in flavor, texture, and nutrition. They're definitely worth the time it takes to make them.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 279
- Fat: 8.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Protein: 29g
- Carbohydrate: 19.3g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 592mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- Fish Sticks:
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 pounds cod fillets (1/2 inch thick)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Tartar Sauce:
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped kosher dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. To prepare fish sticks, place flour in a shallow dish or bowl. Place breadcrumbs in a second shallow dish or bowl. Combine 3 tablespoons water and egg in a third shallow dish or bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- 3. Cut fish into 20 (4 x 1/2-inch) strips. Dredge fish in flour, shaking off excess. Dip fish in egg mixture, and dredge in breadcrumbs. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat fish with cooking spray.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until crisp. Sprinkle fish sticks with salt.
- 5. To prepare tartar sauce, combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Serve tartar sauce with fish.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note