Had purchased a chicken combo package on sale (legs and thighs) "Oh what to do with them?" So I found this recipe that I had cut out years ago. What a great meal! I don't know if my changes made any difference, but since I usually throw away the extra buttermilk... I used 1/2 the quart to marinate the chicken in for a couple of hours. Then followed the recipe as written. What a great way to have fake out fried chicken without all the grease and mess and fat! FYI the parchment paper is a MUST! Thanks!
This lightened version of homestyle fried chicken gets its crispy coating from a mixture of flour and cornmeal and then by browning the chicken in a skillet and finishing it off in the oven.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 450
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 13.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Protein: 43.5g
- Carbohydrate: 35.3g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 109mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 803mg
- Calcium: 88mg
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 chicken breast halves, skinned (about 1 pound)
- 2 chicken thighs, skinned (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 chicken drumsticks, skinned (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine buttermilk and egg whites in a shallow dish; stir well with a whisk. Combine flour, cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a separate shallow dish; stir well. Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Dip chicken in buttermilk mixture; dredge in flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet; lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until chicken is done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note