This was delicious and easy. It reminded me of the fried chicken Mom used to make, without the mess or the guilt. The buttermilk marinade gave it an interesting "tang" and the cumin added flavor. I will definitely make it again.
Enjoy fried chicken without the guilt with this oven-fried chicken recipe. Marinating in buttermilk results in tender, juicy chicken, and double breading gives a crisp crust.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 263
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 38.4g
- Carbohydrate: 14.9g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 754mg
- Calcium: 73mg
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 chicken breast(about 1 pound), skinned
- 2 chicken drumsticks (about 1/2 pound), skinned
- 2 chicken thighs (about 1/2 pound), skinned
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Cooking spray
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Combine flour, salt, peppers, and cumin in a second large zip-top plastic bag. Remove chicken from first bag, discarding marinade. Add chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour; lightly coat each chicken piece with cooking spray. Return chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour.
- Place chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 35 minutes or until done, turning after 20 minutes.
For a smoky taste, use ground chipotle pepper in place of the ground red pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note