I've been making this for years, it's a regular part of our kid-friendly (now voracious teen-friendly) rotation! I always triple the flour and spices accordingly or there wouldn't be enough coating (or flavor). I also use only boneless, skinless chicken thighs, with as much visible fat removed as possible, after trying other parts of chicken - the bone in is messy to eat and boneless breasts get too dry. With my oven on the convection bake setting at 450 degrees, boneless thighs are done after 25 minutes (I check with my instant read thermometer and it's always over 170 degrees internal temp). We like spicy, so along with tripling the recipe spices I use plenty of cracked black pepper instead of white, and add 1/4 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika. Also, to get a nice crunch and not have patches of dry floury coating, you can't be shy with the cooking spray - I always spray both sides so there are no dry and floury bits and it fries up nicely in the oven.
Enjoy fried chicken without the guilt with this oven-fried chicken recipe. Marinating in buttermilk results in tender, juicy chicken, and double breading gives a crisp crust.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 263
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 38.4g
- Carbohydrate: 14.9g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 754mg
- Calcium: 73mg
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 chicken breast(about 1 pound), skinned
- 2 chicken drumsticks (about 1/2 pound), skinned
- 2 chicken thighs (about 1/2 pound), skinned
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Cooking spray
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Combine flour, salt, peppers, and cumin in a second large zip-top plastic bag. Remove chicken from first bag, discarding marinade. Add chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour; lightly coat each chicken piece with cooking spray. Return chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour.
- Place chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 35 minutes or until done, turning after 20 minutes.
For a smoky taste, use ground chipotle pepper in place of the ground red pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note