This really is a great recipe, and it its fast/easy. I used store-bought crumbs and didn't add any cheese (just didn't have any). Also, I pared this down for just my husband and I. I used 2 chicken breasts, and essentially cut the recipe into a third. I measured 1/2 c of the bread crumbs and just one egg. It worked out great.
Oven-fried chicken is a favorite of Mickey Strang's because it can be served warm or cold. She livened up this version with sharp cheddar cheese and ancho chili powder. Have a whole chicken cut into pieces at the meat market, or buy 3 3/4 pounds breast, leg, and thigh pieces. As a quicker alternative to making your own bread crumbs, use 1 1/2 cups purchased dried bread crumbs.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 446
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 43g
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 7.7g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 512mg
- Cholesterol: 198mg
- 6 slices (about 5 oz.) day-old or slightly stale bread (see note above)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon ground dried ancho chilies or chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 chicken (about 4 lb.), neck and giblets removed, cut into 8 pieces (see note above)
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1. Toast bread slices. Let cool, then tear into 1-inch chunks. Whirl in a food processor to make coarse crumbs.
- 2. In a large shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, ground chilies, and salt.
- 3. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Dip in beaten egg and roll in crumb mixture to coat. Place on a foil-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheet.
- 4. Bake in a 375° regular or 350° convection oven until crumbs are browned and chicken is no longer pink at the bone (cut to test), 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note