- 6 slices (about 5 oz.) day-old or slightly stale bread (see note above)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon ground dried ancho chilies or chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 chicken (about 4 lb.), neck and giblets removed, cut into 8 pieces (see note above)
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- calories 446
- caloriesfromfat 48 %
- protein 43 g
- fat 24 g
- satfat 7.7 g
- carbohydrate 12 g
- fiber 0.6 g
- sodium 512 mg
- cholesterol 198 mg
How to Make It
Toast bread slices. Let cool, then tear into 1-inch chunks. Whirl in a food processor to make coarse crumbs.
In a large shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, ground chilies, and salt.
Rinse chicken and pat dry. Dip in beaten egg and roll in crumb mixture to coat. Place on a foil-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheet.
Bake in a 375° regular or 350° convection oven until crumbs are browned and chicken is no longer pink at the bone (cut to test), 45 minutes to 1 hour.