Followed the recipe exactly except we basted the turkey drumsticks every few minutes during the last 30 minutes. The drumsticks came out very dry and tough. The sauce was not extraordinary. If I try this again it will be with different sauce and possibly I will boil the legs to tenderize them before putting them in the oven with the sauce.
Oven-Barbecued Turkey Drumsticks
Turkey drumsticks are a favorite with kids. For family suppers, plan on one drumstick for two youngsters and a drumstick apiece for teenagers or adults.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup lite soy sauce
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 4 fresh turkey drumsticks (about 3 lb.)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together ketchup and next 6 ingredients in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- 2. Place drumsticks in an 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Pour 1 cup ketchup mixture evenly over drumsticks. Bake, covered, at 350° for 1 hour; uncover, top with remaining 1 cup sauce, and bake 30 more minutes or until fork tender.
- Note: To make ketchup sauce ahead, prepare as directed in Step 1. Cool sauce, pour into a 1-qt. airtight container, and chill for up to 2 days.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note