Instant family favorite. I thought I had lost this recipe. I originally found it on the cover of the Sunset Fast and Fresh special issue in 2008 listed as Grilled Shrimp with Rosemary and Ouzo. My family loves this dish. My husband even requested it for his Father's Day dinner. Tasty, refreshing, fragrant, and easy to make. We have it frequently throughout the summer months.
Ouzo-Rosemary Shrimp on Lemon Orzo
This made-for-eating-outdoors dinner combines bright citrus with the sharp, herbal notes of rosemary and ouzo. Prep and Cook Time: 45 minutes. Notes: Ouzo is a widely available anise-flavored liqueur from Greece.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 476
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Protein: 44g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Sodium: 979mg
- Cholesterol: 259mg
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup ouzo
- 1 rosemary sprig (4 in.), leaves removed and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
- 4 medium zucchini
- 4 long or 8 short skewers
- 1. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for medium-high heat (you can hold your hand at grill level only 3 to 4 seconds).
- 2. In a medium pot, bring chicken broth and 2 cups water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until tender to the bite, about 8 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix 1 tbsp. olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, chives, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Drain orzo and transfer to bowl; toss with lemon mixture. Cover and set aside until ready to serve.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 2 tbsp. olive oil, ouzo, rosemary, 1/2 tsp. salt, and pepper. Add shrimp and toss. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- 4. Trim ends off zucchini and cut on the bias into long, oval, 1/4-in.-thick slices. Brush slices with remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Set aside.
- 5. Drain shrimp, reserving marinade, and thread onto skewers.
- 6. Grill zucchini slices and shrimp skewers, covered, 3 minutes. Turn slices and skewers over, brush shrimp with reserved marinade, cover, and cook until zucchini is soft and browned and shrimp is pink and starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately, with lemon orzo on the side.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note