Very good recipe! I typically make scalloped potatoes without cheese (just a white sauce) so this was a nice change. The soft bread crumbs with the parm cheese makes it. Will be making this again. My only comment is I let the sauce cook down just a little too much and it became thick -- so don't let it cook too long.
Out-of-This-World Scalloped Potatoes
More From Southern Living
Bake: 2 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 (10-ounce) block Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 pounds potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until flour is lightly browned. Whisk milk into butter mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar cheese and next 3 ingredients, stirring until cheese melts.
- Spread 1/4 cup cheese sauce evenly in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Layer half of potatoes over sauce; top with half of remaining cheese sauce. Repeat with remaining potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Bake at 325°, covered, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Stir together breadcrumbs, melted butter, and Parmesan cheese; spread evenly over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, 20 to 30 more minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables