Just OK for me. Had better. This will make a horrible mess in your oven.
Our Favorite Roast Chicken
Notes: Consider this basic recipe a blank palette on which to layer flavors--herbs under the skin and in the body cavity, other seasonings with the salt and pepper over the skin, or embellishments to the pan juices afterward.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 392
- Calories from fat: 55%
- Protein: 42g
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 0.0g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 128mg
- Cholesterol: 134mg
- 1 chicken (6 to 8 lb.)
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Remove giblets from chicken and reserve for other uses. Pull off and discard lumps of fat. Rinse bird well inside and out; pat dry.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken lightly with salt and pepper. If desired, fold wing tips under first joint. Set bird breast up on a V-shaped rack in an 11- by 17-inch pan.
- 3. Roast in a 425° regular or convection oven until a thermometer inserted through thickest part of breast to bone reaches 170°, or 180° through thickest part of thigh at joint, 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours. If drippings start to smoke, tilt pan, skim fat and discard; then add about 1/4 cup water.
- 4. Insert a carving fork into body cavity, piercing carcass; lift bird and tilt to drain juices into pan. Set chicken on a rimmed platter and let rest in a warm place about 15 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, skim and discard fat from pan. Stir juices to release browned bits and pour through a fine strainer, if desired, into a small bowl. Carve chicken and serve with juices. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note