Otranto Pine Bark Stew
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 pounds freshwater bass fillets, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, divided
- Spicy Sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- Rinse fish thoroughly; pat dry, and set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven until crisp. Drain bacon well on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Set bacon aside.
- Place one-third of potato slices in bottom of Dutch oven; arrange one-third of onion slices over top. Dissolve salt in 1 cup boiling water, and pour over vegetables in Dutch oven. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat 10 minutes.
- Arrange one-third of fish over vegetables; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon curry powder. Add a second layer of potatoes, onion, and fish. Pour remaining boiling water over top. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon curry powder. Layer remaining potatoes, onion, and fish over top. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon curry powder.
- Cover and simmer over medium- low heat 1 hour and 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Drain cooking liquid from stew, reserving 2 cups for use in Spicy Sauce. Prepare Spicy Sauce, and pour over stew. Spoon stew over hot cooked rice, and garnish with reserved bacon slices. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews