Osso Buco with Gremolata
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 298
- Fat: 10.9g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 31.4g
- Carbohydrate: 17.5g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 112mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 649mg
- Calcium: 94mg
- 4 (8- to 9-ounce) veal shanks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup Marsala wine
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1. Sprinkle veal shanks evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add veal shanks, and cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove veal from pan. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, celery, and 3 garlic cloves; sauté 6 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, Marsala, and broth; bring to a boil. Return veal to pan. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour. Uncover and simmer 30 minutes.
- 3. While veal is simmering, combine parsley, lemon rind, and 2 garlic cloves. Place 1 veal shank in each of 4 shallow bowls; spoon about 3/4 cup sauce over each serving, and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon gremolata.
- Slow-Cooker Method: Place browned shanks in a 5-quart electric slow cooker; top with sautéed vegetables. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, Marsala, and broth. Cover with lid; cook on HIGH 1 hour. Reduce heat to LOW; cook 5 hours. Serve with gremolata.
- Osso Buco (AW-soh BOO-koh), or braised veal shanks, is the ultimate in rustic Italian cooking.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes