- 8 (2-inch-thick) veal shanks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 3 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups hot water
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, soft
- Rub veal with salt and pepper. Brown half of veal in 1-1/2 tablespoons hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, turning often, 5 minutes. Remove to a roasting pan; keep warm. Repeat with remaining veal and 1-1/2 T oil.
- Saute onion, carrot, and celery in remaining 1 tablespoon hot oil in skillet until tender. Add wine: bring to a boil, and boil, stirring occasionally, until reduced by two-thirds (about 15 minutes)
- Tie herbs together with string. Add herb bundle, 4 cups hot water and bouillon granules to skillet; Cover and bring to a boil. Pour over veal. Cover bake at 375Â° for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until veal is tender. Remove veal; keep warm.
- Pour drippings through a wire-mesh strainer into a skillet, discarding solids. Bring to a boil; boil until reduced by half (about 40 minutes). Whisk flour and butter until smooth; whisk into drippings.
- Cook, whisking constantly 1 minute. Serve with veal.
- Yield: 8 servings
- Great over noodles or mashed potatoes
This recipe is a personal recipe added by TBoroczk and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note