Orzotto with Radicchio and Bacon
Serve this immediately since the hot barley turns the radicchio brown.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 317
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 14.5g
- Carbohydrate: 45.2g
- Fiber: 8.8g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 754mg
- Calcium: 171mg
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped radicchio
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine water and broth; bring to a simmer in a large saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Return pan to medium heat. Add red onion; sauté for 3 minutes. Add barley; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine and salt; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until each portion of broth mixture is absorbed before adding the next (about 45 minutes total). Stir in bacon; cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in radicchio, cheese, and pepper. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes