Orzo with Chicken, Red Pepper, and Shiitakes
Community Recipe from
- 5 tablespoon(s) tablespoons olive oil
- 1.25 pound(s) chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound(s) shiitake mushrooms stems removed, caps cut into 1/4-inch s
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 pound(s) orzo/pearl barley
- 1/4 pound(s) mild goat cheese
- 1/3 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup(s) basil
- 1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the orzo until just done, about 12 minutes. Drain the orzo.
- 2. In a large nonstick frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Put the chicken in the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Turn and cook until just done, about 5 minutes longer. Remove. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut the breasts crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
- 3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in the same pan over moderately high heat. Put in the bell pepper, shitakes, thyme, crushed red pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds longer. Remove from the heat.
- 4. In the frying pan, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, the goat cheese, cream, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring almost to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the orzo, chicken, and basil and stir to combine.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Toooom and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Orzo with Chicken, Red Pepper, and Shiitakes Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
More Recipes for Main Dishes