Deserves a 5-star rating; excellent in flavor and texture. A friend of mine was over for dinner and said he does not like rice. He took the recipe home for his wife to make. Hearty enough to be a meal in itself, but also complements rice friendly dishes, such as chicken or pork.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (10-ounce) package yellow rice
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely chopped ham
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add pecan halves, almonds, and pine nuts, and saute, stirring often, 3 minutes or until almonds are light golden brown.
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add rice, and sauté, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add broth, and cook rice 18 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in nuts, bacon, ham, and parsley. Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Note: We like to use three different nuts for this recipe; however, feel free to use all the same variety.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes