- 4 dried hot chile peppers, seeded
- 3 pounds lean beef for stewing, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Masa Harina (instant corn tortilla mix)
How to Make It
Place hot peppers in a small amount of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Drain well. Finely chop peppers, and set aside.
Brown meat in oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven. Drain well. Add chopped peppers and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
Add garlic, salt, oregano, cumin, red pepper, chili powder, and hot sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 30 minutes. Add Masa Harina, stirring well. Cover and cook over low heat 30 minutes.