My wife and I have made this for years and absolutely love this dish. Sometimes, we skip the asparagas and rice. The maranade for flank steak is the only one we use. The rices mixture is something that you can make ahead and refridgerate should you choose.
Asian Flank Steak with Asparagus and Wild-Rice Pilaf
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Mary Catherine Muir
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 4 asparagus spears, 3 ounces steak, and 1 cup wild-rice pilaf)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 362
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Fat: 15.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 28.9g
- Carbohydrate: 26.7g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Iron: 5mg
- Sodium: 427mg
- Calcium: 97mg
- 16 asparagus spears
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (1-pound) flank steak or boned top round steak
- 4 cups sliced spinach
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Cook asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well, and chill.
- Combine soy sauce and next 4 ingredients (soy sauce through garlic), reserving 1/3 cup soy sauce mixture. Set aside. Place remaining soy sauce mixture, asparagus, and steak in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Remove asparagus and steak from bag, and discard marinade. Place a grill pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add asparagus and steak, and cook steak 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness, turning asparagus as needed. Place steak on a platter, and cover with foil. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
- Combine 1/3 cup reserved soy sauce mixture, spinach, rice, celery, oil, and onions; toss to coat. Divide asparagus, steak, and wild-rice pilaf evenly among 4 plates.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note