This was very good. I used Cherrywood smoked bacon and used 3 slices since it is a pretty thin cut. I also doubled up the garlic! Never too much garlic for my family!
Orecchiette with Kale, Bacon, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Orecchiette (little ears pasta) is a classic shape that's ideal for this chunky sauce. You can also substitute short pasta shapes like penne or rigatoni. If you can find mild-tasting cavolo nero (black kale), try it here.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 14.7g
- Carbohydrate: 53.7g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 12.4mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 486mg
- Calcium: 218mg
- 8 ounces uncooked orecchiette pasta
- 5 cups bagged prewashed kale
- 2 slices center-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes or until almost tender. Add kale, and cook 2 minutes. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- 2. While pasta cooks, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; crumble and set aside. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add sun-dried tomatoes, crushed red pepper, and garlic to drippings in pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add pasta mixture, reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid, black pepper, and salt to pan; toss to combine. Top pasta mixture evenly with bacon and cheese; drizzle evenly with lemon juice.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes