Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe, Bacon, and Bread Crumbs
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, tough ends removed, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
- 1 pound orecchiette
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a medium pot of boiling, salted water, cook the broccoli rabe until almost done, about 3 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- 2. In a large nonstick frying pan, heat 1/4 cup of the oil over moderate heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove. Wipe out the pan.
- 3. In the same pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels. Pour off all the fat. Heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil in the frying pan over moderately low heat. Add the garlic and red-pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the broccoli rabe and cook, stirring occasionally, until just done, about 3 minutes longer.
- 4. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the orecchiette until done, about 15 minutes. Drain and toss with the bread crumbs, bacon, broccoli rabe, and salt.
- Fresh Bread Crumbs: The quickest way to make fresh bread crumbs is to tear up a few slices of French or Italian bread and whir them in the food processor. No need to remove the crust.
- Wine Recommendation: The bitter bite of the broccoli rabe and the pungent garlic in this dish both require a crisp white wine to act as a neutral foil. Try a pinot grigio from Friuli for good effect.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes