Orecchiette with Escarole, Capers, and Olives
- 12 ounces dried orecchiette pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 bunch (12 oz.) escarole, leaves separated and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon brined capers
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- calories 492
- caloriesfromfat 36 %
- protein 16 g
- fat 20 g
- satfat 6 g
- carbohydrate 66 g
- fiber 3.1 g
- sodium 1716 mg
- cholesterol 26 mg
How to Make It
Bring a pot of generously salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
Meanwhile, in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tbsp. oil. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook 15 seconds, then add escarole in batches, tossing with tongs until it wilts and shrinks in the pan, about 6 minutes. Stir in olives and capers; set aside.
Drain pasta, reserving 3/4 cup pasta-cooking water. Set frying pan of escarole over low heat, add pasta and 1/4 cup cooking water, and toss to combine. Stir in remaining 1 tbsp. oil, the butter, and cheeses. Stir to combine, adding more cooking water as necessary. Serve with more parmesan.