Yield: one 13- x 9-inch cake
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, orange rind, and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 13- x 9- x 2 - inch baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely; spread Cream Cheese Frosting on top of cake. Cut cooled cake into squares to serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note