These are good, and the flavor is very reminiscent of Constant Comment tea. I found the almond flavor not strong enough for me, but that's just my preference. They don't get the madeleine 'bump' in the center, and the process is a little different than others I've made. These are very cakey and not at all bad, but I probably won't make them again.
The neighborhood will smell the sweet aroma of almond and orange when you're baking this French cookie recipe. Just be sure you've made enough to share.
Yield: Makes about 14 madeleines
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 132
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 1.9g
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 102mg
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- 2 ounces almond paste, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, with your fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut almond paste into sugar until well blended. With a mixer on medium speed, beat in butter until smooth. Beat in egg, orange peel, and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Stir in milk.
- 2. In another bowl, mix flour with baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Stir into butter mixture until well blended. Spoon batter into buttered and floured 2-inch-long madeleine molds (fill each hollow about 3/4 full).
- 3. Bake in a 350° oven until tops of madeleines are lightly browned and spring back when gently pressed, 12 to 15 minutes. Invert the pan over a rack to release madeleines. Serve warm, or cool completely and store airtight.
- Notes: Nutritional analysis per madeleine. If you like, while they're still warm, dust the cookies with 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Although best fresh, they can be stored airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note