Orange-Scented Flan With Roasted Pineapple
Roasted pineapple can also be served over low-fat ice cream or angel food cake.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge flan and about 1/2 cup pineapple)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 219
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 42.9g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 67mg
- Calcium: 72mg
- 5 cups (1/2-inch-thick) chunks fresh pineapple
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon stick margarine or butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 vanilla bean, split or 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a 3-quart casserole. Bake at 450° for 40 minutes, stirring once. Remove from oven. Stir in mint; set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- Combine the milk, orange rind, and vanilla bean in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat; cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat; discard vanilla bean. (If using vanilla extract, remove milk mixture from heat; stir in extract.)
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat; cook until golden (about 15 minutes). Immediately pour into a 9-inch round cake pan, tipping quickly until the caramelized sugar coats bottom of pan.
- Combine milk mixture, 3/4 cup sugar, eggs, and egg whites in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Place cake pan in a large shallow pan; add hot water to shallow pan to a depth of 1 inch. Cover with foil; bake at 325° for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cake pan from water; cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 3 hours.
- Loosen the edges of the flan with a knife or rubber spatula. Place a plate, upside down, on top of pan; invert flan onto plate. Drizzle any remaining caramelized syrup over flan. Cut flan into 8 wedges; top with pineapple mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This