Everyone in my family loves these and I make them every chance I get. Even the children adore them. I highly recommend this recipe!
The rolls need rising time, so plan this recipe for a weekend or day off.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 5 Minutes
Rise: 3 Hours
Bake: 22 Minutes
Cool: 2 Minutes
- 1 (1/4-oz.) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (100º to 110º)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup bread flour
- Honey Topping
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
- Fresh Orange Glaze
- 1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a 1-cup glass measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer using the paddle attachment until creamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and salt, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, milk, and lemon juice, beating until blended. Stir in yeast mixture.
- 3. Combine 4 1/2 cups bread flour and nutmeg. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed 2 minutes or until well blended.
- 4. Turn dough out onto a surface floured with about 1/4 cup bread flour; knead for 5 minutes, adding additional bread flour as needed. Place dough in a lightly greased large bowl, turning to grease top of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- 5. Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Divide 1 dough half into 12 equal pieces; shape each piece, rolling between hands, into a 7- to 8-inch-long rope. Wrap each rope into a coil, firmly pinching end to seal. Place rolls in a lightly greased 10-inch round cake pan. Repeat procedure with remaining dough half. Drizzle half of Honey Topping evenly over each pan of rolls.
- 6. Let rise, uncovered, in a warm place 1 hour or until doubled in size. Top evenly with pecans, if desired.
- 7. Bake at 350° for 20 to 22 minutes or until rolls are lightly browned. Cool rolls 2 minutes in pans. Spoon half of Fresh Orange Glaze evenly over each pan of warm rolls, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note