Orange Refrigerator Cookies
Prep and cook time: About 1 hour, plus 2 hours to freeze. Notes: You can freeze the dough for these delicious cookies for up to 3 weeks, or store baked cookies airtight for up to 2 days.
Yield: Makes about 40 cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 106
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 1.4g
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 94mg
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup minced walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and orange peel until well blended.
- 2. In another bowl, mix flour, walnuts, baking soda, and salt. Stir or beat into butter mixture until well blended.
- 3. Divide dough in half; form each portion into a 2 1/2-inch-thick log. Wrap logs airtight in waxed paper. Freeze until firm enough to slice neatly, at least 2 hours, or up to 3 weeks.
- 4. Unwrap dough. Using a sharp knife, cut logs crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Lay slices 3 inches apart on buttered or cooking parchment–lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets; if cookies flattened when cut, reshape with your fingers.
- 5. Bake cookies in a 375° oven until edges are very lightly browned, about 12 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking. With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.
- Nutritional analysis per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This