This is one of my favorite cakes to make when the oranges are hanging heavy on the trees. Just made it again tonight--cut up all the fruit and put in sealed container in the fridge so all the flavors have time to blend. To me, this cake always tastes better the day after it is made so I make it early. In addition to the citrus, my kids ask for strawberries so I throw a few of those on top. Fantastic recipe!
Orange Poppy Seed Butter Cake with Citrus Salad
This tender, sunny creation was inspired by poppy seed cakes that award-winning pastry chef Karen Barker fondly remembers from her Russian grandmother's kitchen. Prep: 25 minutes; Bake: 55 minutes.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- Zest of 2 medium navel oranges (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature*
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice, divided (about 2 oranges)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Citrus Salad
- Garnish: crÃ¨me fraÃ®che or whipped cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan, tapping out excess flour; set aside. Sift together first 3 ingredients. Stir in kosher salt, and set aside.
- 2. Cream butter, 2 cups sugar, and zest in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add poppy seeds, and mix well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, pausing to scrape down bowl.
- 3. Combine buttermilk, 1/2 cup orange juice, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating at low speed after each addition.
- 4. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack 20 minutes; remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack.
- 5. Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar with remaining 1/4 cup orange juice in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook 5 minutes or until syrupy. Place cake on a serving plate. Brush with warm glaze. Let cool to room temperature before serving. Serve with Citrus Salad, and garnish, if desired.
- *Remove eggs from refrigerator, and place in a bowl for 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note