I've made these 2x - first time using a orange cake mix -- and the 2nd I tried a lemon cake mix (omitting the marmalade and subbing lemonade for the orange juice--- delish !!!
Orange Marmalade-Ricotta Cupcakes with Marmalade Buttercream Frosting
Add richness and flavor to cake mix cupcakes by stirring ricotta cheese, and onge juice, and orange marmalade into the batter. Top the cupcakes with a buttercream frosting flavored with orange marmalade.
Other: 5 Minutes
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package plain white or yellow cake mix*
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- Marmalade Buttercream Frosting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Insert paper liners into 20 muffin cups; set aside.
- 2. Beat cake mix, 1 cup orange juice, and next 5 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer until combined. Scrape sides of bowl with spatula, and beat at medium speed 2 minutes or until batter is thick and well combined. Spoon about 1/3 cup batter into each liner.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 18 to 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 4. Brush tops of warm cupcakes evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons orange juice. Let cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- 5. Spread about 1 heaping tablespoon of Marmalade Buttercream Frosting on each cupcake. Store at room temperature in an airtight container up to 3 days, up to a week in refrigerator, or (unfrosted) up to 6 months in freezer.
*We tried several different cake mixes and found we prefer white over yellow.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note