A very tasty cookie. I used just a few dried cherries because of their cost and low-sugar cranberries for the rest of the dried fruit. Also used Hodgson Mill 1/2 unbleached/ 1/2 whole wheat flour instead of the two types indicated. Added just a bit more OJ since the dough seemed a little dry. Very nice pronounced orange flavor--we liked these a lot and they're super easy. I made exactly 1/2 the recipe for our small family.
Orange-Infused Cherry-Almond Biscotti
Photo: Jan Smith
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 83
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 2.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 14.3g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 79mg
- Calcium: 26mg
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 7 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (about 5 1/8 ounces)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup dried sweet cherries, chopped
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
- Cooking spray (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Combine rind, butter, juice, almond extract, and eggs in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Stir in cherries and almonds. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 8 times. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into an 11-inch-long roll. Place rolls 4 inches apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden. Remove the rolls from pan, and cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut each roll diagonally into 20 (1/2-inch) slices. Carefully stand slices upright on baking sheet.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- Bake biscotti for 20 minutes or until almost firm (biscotti will be slightly soft in center but will continue to harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; cool completely on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Orange-Infused Cherry-Almond Biscotti Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts