Trying to use up hazelnut flour I had bought for some reason. Thanks to other reviewers, I made a few alterations. I quadrupled the recipe for a start and pre-soaked some sultanas. I used orange and lemon zest (2 oranges, one lemon); used sugar instead of agave syrup since I didn't have any. I just substituted the amount directly. I made half a batch without sultanas and then added them in to the last half of the batter. I sprinkled tops with 1/2 tsp coarse sugar granules each. Cooked as directed - got 20 medium sized muffins. The ones with the sultanas in were quite nice and the plain ones were just OK. Wouldn't go out of my way to make these but since I still have some of the hazelnut flour left, I will make them again to use that up but will make with all my changes including adding the sultanas. Once the flour is used up, I wont be making these again. Thanks to previous reviewers for preventing wasting time and ingredients.
Orange-Hazelnut Snack Muffins
Photo: Randy Mayor; Stylist: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 81
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 7.6g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 89mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- 1.5 ounces hazelnut flour (about 6 tablespoons; such as Bob's Red Mill)
- 2.5 ounces cake flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Combine oil, milk, agave, rind, juice, and egg in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to oil mixture, stirring just until moist.
- 3. Spoon batter evenly into 12 miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of muffins comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan; cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This