Having recently discovered quinoa, was look for recipes and found this one. Made it exactly per recipe, using black quinoa. The citrus really added flaver to the quinoa and fish. Very colorful on plate and a healthful dish. Will make it again.
Orange Halibut with Quinoa
By the end of winter, Jennifer Rinterknecht is ready for something bright and vibrant, like this halibut with fruit and the protein-rich grain quinoa. To toast hazelnuts, bake in a 375° oven until golden under skin, about 10 minutes. Pour nuts onto a towel and rub briskly to remove as much skin as possible.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 647
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Protein: 41g
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sodium: 487mg
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- 1 avocado (about 8 oz.)
- 1 orange (about 8 oz.)
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boned, skinned halibut, cut into 3 equal pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts (about 2 oz.; see note above)
- 1. Pit and peel avocado and cut into 1/4-inch cubes. With a sharp knife, cut and discard peel and white pith from orange. Cut between membranes to release orange segments into a bowl.
- 2. In a strainer, rinse and drain quinoa. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add quinoa and 1/2 teaspoon salt and adjust heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender to bite, about 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, rinse halibut and pat dry. Sprinkle lightly all over with salt and pepper. Pour oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat. When hot, add halibut and cook, turning once, until opaque but still moist-looking at the center of the thickest part (cut to test), about 6 minutes total. Spread about 1 teaspoon marmalade over each piece of fish.
- 4. Mound quinoa on dinner plates. With a spatula, place a piece of fish on top of quinoa and arrange avocado and orange segments over fish. Sprinkle evenly with cranberries and hazelnuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note