Orange-Glazed Roasted Chicken with Wild Rice
While the chicken bakes, prepare the rice mixture.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 496
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 39g
- Carbohydrate: 63g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 809mg
- Calcium: 77mg
- 1 large shallot, minced
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 (12-ounce) can orange juice concentrate
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 (5 1/2-pound) whole chicken
- 2 (6-ounce) packages long-grain and wild rice mix
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries, chopped
- Sauté shallot in skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until tender. Add juice concentrate, 1 1/2 cups water, honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt, marjoram, 1 teaspoon sage, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, whisking until blended.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in an aluminum foil-lined roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; drizzle with juice mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 2 hours and 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into chicken thigh registers 180°, basting every 30 minutes. Shield after 30 minutes, if necessary.
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting fat.
- Cook onion, celery, and fennel in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes.
- Stir together onion mixture, rice, cranberries, remaining 1 teaspoon sage, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and keep warm. Serve with chicken and extra sauce.
- *Reduce sodium by 218 milligrams per serving by omitting salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Orange-Glazed Roasted Chicken with Wild Rice Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes