Yield: Makes 10 to 12 servings
More From Southern Living
Bake: 2 Hours
- 3 (5- to 7-lb.) whole chickens
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 2 small oranges, quartered
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, quartered
- 3 parsley sprigs
- Kitchen string
- 1 (12-oz.) jar orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Garnishes: whole kumquats, fresh rosemary sprigs
- Remove giblet packages from hens, and reserve for another use. Rinse hens, and pat dry. Remove excess fat and skin. Rub hens evenly with salt and pepper. Squeeze juice from 1 orange quarter into each hen cavity. Fill hen cavities with remaining orange quarters, onions, carrots, celery, and parsley sprigs. Place hens, breast sides up, on a wire rack in an aluminum foil-lined shallow roasting pan. Tie legs together with kitchen string.
- Stir together orange marmalade and next 5 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until orange marmalade is melted. Remove and reserve 3/4 cup mixture.
- Bake hens at 350° for 1 1/2 hours; brush evenly with orange glaze, and bake 30 more minutes. Brush with orange glaze; shield with aluminum foil. Bake 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of thigh registers 170°. Garnish, if desired. Serve with reserved 3/4 cup orange mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes